Thursday, May 22, 2008

Steven and I are trying to be better with our food storage so we decided to get chickens! I can't believe I wanted to get them because growing up we had them and I hated them so much. You would have to duck to get into the coup and thentry and grab the eggs which usually are covered in poop. They stunk like crazy and I really didn't like to clean out their water. I guess things hange when it's your own home and your own family you are trying to help.Here are two of the mom chickens. They have about 6 babys under them in this picture. It is amazing how they protect their chicks. They really gather them under their wings and protect them from everything! Sometimes we see the chicks sitting on top of the moms its really kind of cute.
We had a rough few days this week because our swamp cooler wasn't working and it was about 100 degrees outside. I was dying of heat and when you are hot you don't want to do a thing, so I would just sit by the fan and watch tv. Finally we figured out what was wrong. We had to get a new pump and new pads and now it is working like a charm!
I really love this time of year because everything is green and pretty! I love working out in the yard!! Just like with the chickens I hated having to work all day saturday when I was young, but now that it's my own house I love being outside planting, mowing, and just making our yard look good. I just love working with Steven to make our home better! I love you Steven!!!
p.s. Thanks for fixing the swamp cooler!!!

10 comments:

Chris & Jennie said...

Kami! I love that you guys got chickens. I would have no clue how to take care of chickens - I'd probably scream when I walked in the coup! So way to go! Anyhow, you're house seems so fun, especially that you get to tend to a yard and garden. I can't wait till I an plant flowers! Enjoy your hot sun out there in the desert -- we're still pushing 70 degree weather!

Mary Ann said...

you guys are so awesome and the hardest workers.. i love how you put your minds to something and get it done!! you will be pros and building, a/c units, electricity, etc when you are done with this house!! it looks so great!

Photography By Jo said...

What a cute little garden! I can't wait till Jeremy and I have a house so we can start one. I'm happy to see that you are doing well.
-Jo Alldredge (brewer)
jnjalldredge.blogspot.com

Reynolds Fam said...

Ok, I must say if I had a $1 for everytime you complained about the chickens when you were home I could redo my kitchen! I'm so glad you have those cute things. We will get you started on a garden next when you can get Meg under control so she won't dig it up.
Love you
Mom

Barnes Blog said...

Your house is so cute. I love your flowers. I totally know what you're talking about not wanting to do anything when it's hot.
You guys look like you're having fun and kepping busy. I can't believe Craig has been gone for 10 mos already.
Enjoy you summer in good 'ol AZ. :)

Deanne Wahl said...

Your house looks so good. I love the flowers in the front and I love that you got chickens. I keep trying to convince Alan to get chickens, but I think that the HOA might have something to say about that. I am so excited to see you guys!

Ashley said...

I am so glad you got the swamp cooler working. If you need to get cool, you are welcome to come here anytime.

Zach said...

Kami! I haven't seen you in such a long time, how are you?! Look at what you are up to! So exciting!

Kamala Crockett said...

Hey Kami and Steven! I found your blog through the whole weave of friends! I love reading your posts and think you both are amazing people!! Good luck with those chickens!! You are brave!
Kamala and Chad Crockett

Holly Janeen said...

i am so JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for your good examples!

Life without music would be like life without chocolate!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Swidget 1.0